From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:20:46 -0800
It sounds to me like the registry is not accepting the fact that the drivers
are installed.  I have had problems similar to this.  I installed a wrong
driver once, and I could not get the right driver to install after that.
The solution was to look at the files associated with the device (you can do
this if you look at the properties in device manager) and deleting the
actual driver files that Windows had previously installed...  WARNING!!!
WARNING!!!

Some of these files are tucked away in the Windows CAB files, and will not
be automatically pulled out again when you attempt to reinstall the device.
If you decide to delete any of these files, make sure they are ONLY THE
FILES THAT THE DRIVER INSTALL COPIED OVER!  I made the mistake of deleting
the wrong file and I had to search through about 40 CAB files before finding
the file I needed (wouldn't you know, it was in nearly the last one I looked
at).  BTW, if anybody knows how to do a text search that will include the
contents of CAB files, I would be greatly interested in learning.

O.K.  Where was I?  Oh yeah, delete the driver files, shut down, remove the
device, start up, shut down, install the device, and then let it do the auto
detect again making sure to point to the location of the correct drivers.
Hope this helps.