From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:39:14 -0800
This is like asking, how much gas does the average car consume. It
depends on the car.  A high powered laptop intended for desktop use
is going to consume negligible amounts of electricity on it's own.
However, 500 of them in a business setting could be using quite a bit of power.

My girlfriends Compaq Desktop, with a 90 watt PS, uses next to no
power, while my dual Xeon Server uses as much power as my
refrigerator. If you are really interested how much power any device
is consuming I highly recommenced a 30 dollar device called <Kill A
Watt>. This instrument  plugs into the wall, and then you plug in the
device you wish to monitor. It is available at Cyberguys.

  Kill A Watt will tell you the amps, the volts, the frequency, the
Kilowatt hours over time, ...everything you would want to know in
order to determine the quality of your AC power, and your power
usage. Using this device, and knowing what you are being charged per
kilowatt hour will tell you what a particular device is costing you.

  Of course, the power companies usually charge you on a graduated
scale, ...the more you use the higher the rate. So you can only
approximate the charge. The actual charge can be higher then you
figure, if it is enough to drive you into a higher kilowatt hour charge.

Yes, there will be a big power draw difference in sleep mode, that is
what it is for. Just keep in mind that if you need to run  a
particular service, like a answering machine, a automated backup, or
something else, your computer may have a problem waking up
automatically when that service attempts to start.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/

At 12:08 AM 2/26/2008, you wrote:
>How much power does a standard desktop consume? What about a 19' LCD
>monitor? Is there a difference when it goes in sleep mode?
>   Chilangisha B Changwe

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>