From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:01:36 -0600
From: "Gary Kaucher" :Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2001 5:50 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] CD-ROM Problem on Packard Bell Axcel 350CD

.
> >>. . . I was able to use one of the drivers (Matsushita) to recognize
> >>D: ,but unfortunately when I insert a CD into the CD-ROM, I am unable to
> >>change directories or do anything. . . .
> >

> >Gary:
> >
> >It must be a proprietary CDROM driver. Go to Matsushita driver site:
> >
> >  http://www.panasonic.com/support/software/cdrom.html
> >
> >and download the driver. Edit your Windows 98 Boot Disk to replace the
> >OAKCDROM.SYS drivername with the name of the Matsushita driver. Copy the
> >Matsushita driver to the boot floppy. Should work.
>
> >You may have to totally remove the DOS installation -- and lay down a
base
> >Win98 system -- to get Windows 98 to install. Fact is, you want FAT32
> >enabled, regardless.
> >
> >Good luck.
> >
> >John Chin
>

> John-
>
> Thanks. It worked!
>
> I installed the correct driver, and I was able to use the CD to install
> Windows 98. I didn't have to remove DOS, but I suppose that I am still on
> FAT16. The HDD is only around 400 MB. I thought that I read somewhere that
> FAT32 is good to use when the HDD is around 2 gigabytes.
>
> Also, I still don't have any sound. It looks like the soundcard is
combined
> with the modem or something. When I look in Device Manager there are
> exclamation marks on the Printer Port, sound card, and Sound Card
> Controller. I think I saw the words Aztec and Washington, something like
> that. Some kind of resource conflict, where there isn't an available IRQ.
> The Hardware troubleshooter doesn't seem to help.
>
> Also, now that there is a operaing system installed, I see that the
monitor
> isn't giving me the right colors. The normally Windows default blue
> background looks dark green. Increasing the brightness doesn't seem to
> help. Maybe the monitor is causing "other problems" besides just a bad
> picture. Thanks again.
>
> Gary

Gary,

Packard Bell used this sound card modem combo in many of their computers.
The drivers for Win 95 worked but these drivers did not work in Win98.  They
finally came out with an upgrade but you need the drivers from their site
for the Sound 144 sound card.  Windows identifies it as an Aztech or
Washington sound card and installs the drivers, but the drivers will not
work with the card.

Hope this helps,

Mary Wolden

                     support at our newest website: