From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:55:22 -0700
David,

Yes, even with IDE, the BIOS typically controls which devices it sees,
and sets the boot order. Note that the boot order only sets the order
the BIOS searches for a valid boot device. It does not set any drive
letter mapping in XP.

SATA is just a different interface for the disk to connect to the
controller (usually on the MB). Aside from this, there is really no
difference between IDE and SATA.

In XP, the disk management utility can be used to set the actual drive
letters on the drives.

Russ Poffenberger

David Nager wrote:
> Hi Russ,
> So it's all set in bios / Computer Management with XP ie. Which drive it
> boots from and drive letters ?
> Dave

> David Nager
> Carleton, MI