Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 2009 19:52:13 -0400
If that were the case, would I be able to view still pictures?  (I
can...  It reads still photos on CD and DVD just fine!)  How would I
test that?  Just replace the CD/DVD drive?  (Easy enough to do, even for
a non-tech ol' gal like me!)

The error message I keep getting is "Windows Media Player cannot play
the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your
computer" -- which of course lead me to believe that it was a software
problem but Russ asked me to post the problem here.  I've asked in
various forums and I've asked Microshaft, uh, _-soft_ <ducking and
grinning>; I've haven't even come close to a solution as yet, besides
replacing the drive.  I'm not exactly holding my breath to hear back
from Microshaft either...

Yes, there used to be a partition, behind which was all the backup
Windoze stuff...

Joyce in SE Ohio

Hugh Vandervoort wrote:
> Your DVD laser has probably died.. This is pretty common. These drives
> are cheap and easy to replace.
> The drive letter change suggests there was a partition on your C drive
> that is no longer there. These partitions are common on many PCs.
> If you have a Phillips screwdriver and a little patience we can help
> you with this.
> There is an excellent guide here:
> http://freepctech.com/pc/001/installing_ide_devices.shtml
>
> On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Joyce E <j3e@...> wrote:
>
>> I used to be able to view a movie or other video DVD on my PC, running
>> Windows XP SP 2.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com