From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:44:32 -0700
On 19 Aug 2004 at 21:44, Mark Rode wrote:

> But all this is incidental to the fact that the code is not within NT4, or
> Windows 2000, to  fully take advantage of HT. Check any SMP or Dual
> processor support group, and you will find that conventional wisdom says
> that if you want to benefit from HT, then run XP PRO, and if you want to
> run 2K then turn HT off.

  I would make that recommendation based on safety/reliability rather than
*performance*.  I've run NT and 2000 on several SMP systems, and my
experience is that the versions of Windows Explorer included with these OSes
have not been SMP-safe.  They've been multi-threaded just fine, but on a
regular CPU you can never have two theads executing at exactly the same
time.  With SMP -- or HT on a single physical CPU -- this happens routinely.

  I sincerely hope that Microsoft has fixed their code in XP.

David Gillett