From:
Gary Tennesen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:09:39 -0700
Margaret:

I've taken a crowbar to my wallet (so to speak) and spent the 29.95 on
Spysweeper.  There is so much on the internet that can be causing lock ups
and slow-downs that a spyware cleaner is money, well-spent.

However; I might add for you to try these things:
1) make sure your antivirus has definitions at the most 1-2 weeks old
2) make sure you have the latest drivers/updates from microsoft
3) your spyware software will tell you if any software has recently been
installed that is hogging vital resources which may cause lockups or
slow-downs
4) delete your swap file from a dos boot which will cause Windows to create
a new one (thus, eliminating a possibly corrupt current swap file)  to do
this:  shut down windows with the "reboot in msdos" as your choice -- when
you get to the windows/ prompt, type del *.swp  Windows will create a fresh,
new swap file on reboot
5) the most likely culprit to lock-ups these days in win98 might be video
driver software and/or startup utilities... retrace your steps to when the
computer was running better -- you may want to expirement with removing
startup items.

--gary r. tennesen