Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:26:17 -0700

  Probably what you will need to do is let the iPad continue to rely on
DHCP to get an address -- it's intended to be mobile, and this should
work most places that you might go with it....
  BUT
  In the DHCP configuration of your router, you want to create a
"reservation" (The router management might not use this term...),
specifying the iPad's MAC (network hardware) address, and a specific IP
address to always be issued to thst client.  So the iPad will always
"just happen" to be given the same address via DHCP when it's at home.

  one way that an "IP address conflict" can come about is if you try to
configure a static address on a device, and that address is within a
"pool" of addresses handed out by a DHCP server and not marked as a
reservation (or reserved for some other client...).  Low-level network
mechanisms map from IP addresses to (hardware) MAC addresses. and if a
single IP address maps to more than one MAC address, odds are good that
only one of those clients will be "seeing" most of the traffic trying to
reach that IP address.  And clients who discover that some other MAC
address is claiming their IP address will squawk.
  So you *can* create an address conflict with what you're trying to do,
but you shouldn't.

David Gillett
CCNP CISSP