From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:06:13 -0600
At 01:28 PM 6/25/98 -0700, John G. Cakars wrote:

>Packard Bell POS, P75, Win95a
>
>I have a 2x CD-ROM drive.  Would I have any problems if I installed a
>24x or 32x IDE CD-ROM drive?  Would I need to upgrade my BIOS?

If the current drive is an IDE drive, (a lot of 2x drives were proprietary
drives, such as Sony or Mitsumi), it is real simple.  Unplug the 2x drive
and replace it with the new drive.  It should be just that simple.  Win95a
will install the drivers and you are going.

If the drive is proprietary and plugged into a sound card or adapter
card, just connect the controller connection on the new drive to
your IDE ribbon cable with your hard drive...  (if your system has
dual connections for IDE, secondary connector, connect the new
drive there to keep it from slowing down your hard drive).

There should be nothing to modify in the CMOS for
your CD Rom drive.

BOB WRIGHT  -   [log in to unmask]  - http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD : PCSOFT : PC-MS : VPLANETS
                             PCBLDFAQ : PC-PDA : I-GAMES