Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2013 08:39:30 -0700
  I'm running version "12.04 LTS" on the machine with the problem.

  The message pops up while Update Manager is initializing, and it looks
to me like an issue with the database of installed packages, not the
list of updat sources.  Although I don't suppose I can be absolutely
certain that isn't corrupted TOO...

  Here's the message text:
An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package
information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include
the following error message:

'Encountered a section with no Package: header,
Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise-updates_universe_i18n_Translation-en,

The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'