From:
Roxanne Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 21:22:16 -0700
A little while back I asked for help with a Dial Up Networking component,
RNAAPP, which was causing computer freezups in a very clean system.

I received quite a number of very good suggestions, all of which I tried, but
finally found one, which originated from Ken Polk. He had suggested that the
NetBIOS transport file, vnbt.386, (and another part of Dial Up Networking,
closely associated with TCP/IP) was somehow at fault.

After searching through the Win95 technical database, I found an article
(Article ID: Q184242, located at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q184/2/42.asp , which described
a WinSock 2.0 Installer for Windows 95 (Ws2setup.exe) Update. This update, dated
4/13/98, solved two main problems.

First, the original vnbt.386, was replaced with one that didn't cause certain
programs to hang under certain conditions. This seemed to be what was happening
when using Dial Up Networking.

Second, some problems involving Msvcrt.dll were resolved.

The bottom line: The Winsock 2 upgrade seemed to have fixed RNAAPP problems in
at least two computers I've worked on so far.

Roxanne Pierce
R2 Systems, San Diego
mailto:[log in to unmask]