From:
Tomas Santos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:38:39 -0700
Howard,
You're right in stating there are no drivers contained
within the "*.INF files and *.HLP", they're in
C:\Windows\System which is part of the list I submitted
should be saved.

But if you've saved the drivers to any hardware to
which you no longer have the installation CD or
floppies with the drivers & their corresponding Help
files, then it will surely come in handy to have saved
the ones contained in the "*.INF  and *.HLP" files.

And yes, you're right"...there are lots of
hardware items made that do not need 'drivers'..." &
come in Windows.

However, there are as many which are proprietary and
without which you'd have to throw the hardware away,
though it is in perfect working condition.

I'm sure you'll agree, Howard. If you re-read my post
you'll see I included C:\Windows\System, which you may
have missed.

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire
wisdom, one must observe."
---Marilyn vos Savant

Tomas Santos
-----------------------------------
In [log in to unmask] Howard Rubin wrote:

> Date:    Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:58:28 -0300
> From:    Howard Rubin xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
> Subject: Re: Format and Reinstall
>
> I beg to differ.  If all  you save are the *.INF files
> and *.HLP, you will
> be &quot;up the creek with no paddle&quot;!  INF
files are just
> Information, how the
> drivers are to  be installed, NOT the drivers
> themselves.  You need to
> download the current drivers from the Internet or
> already have them on CD or
> floppy.  HLP are just files that open when you invoke
> the help in any
> program in Windows, no drivers there!  If you format
> you loose every driver
> you already had (and probably spent lots of hours
> downloading), if you just
> destroy the registry (backups too), at least you still
> have all the
> necessary files to install most  hardware that Windows
> detects when you
> reinstall.  Just for argumentīs sake, there are lots
of
> hardware items made
> that do not need &quot;drivers&quot;, they use the
INF files to