From:
Louis Smogor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 07:45:33 -0500
Here's a problem I thought I had fixed earlier this week:

A Compaq 415 external modem has been working successfully for months on a
Win 98 system; then on Sunday, it would dial, but the call would not go
through - after the dialling was complete, there would be silence and,
after a while, it would hang up.

I tested the modem by trading it out for an external modem on a FreeBSD
system, and it worked perfectly. Checking this and that on the Win98
system, I discovered from the built-in System Information/system file
checker that user.exe was corrupt. I replaced it from the Win98 install
disk, rebooted, and, voila, the modem worked. About 20 minutes into the
session, it stopped working, and hasn't since. Same symptoms as before.
I did re-install the modem (which uses a standard Windows driver, it
seems), to no effect. System file checker says all is well, the registry is
fine. What can be going on?

Call me mystified.

Thanks,

Louis Smogor