Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 20:06:38 -0700
Hi Demetri,

I have a little windows LAN too (3-4 systems all with diffeent OS's). It
takes a bit of messing around sometimes. I have found the best thing is to:

1. Check the lights on the Nic cards and Hubs - it is often the case the a
loose connection messes up everything.

2.  Use NetBui whe you first set up the network. Also have TCP/IP, and,
obviouly a Microsft Client.

3. Enable DHCP in the WINS part of properties for TCP/IP. Disable DNS.
Enable automatic IP addressing.

4. Enable file and print sharing

5. Make sure the drives or folders you want are checked as shared. (right
click on them and click on the sharing tab)

6. If you run Zone Alarm, go inot 'security' and the 'advanced' tab and 'add
computer'. Type in the computer name (Netbios name) of everyone in your LAN.

7. Make sure your client's ID's are all correct and that they all belong to
the same workgroup. I have found that some systems are case sensitive and
some are not.

8. Select your primary logon as client for microsoft networks (in My Network
Places or Network Neighborhood properties).

Reboot all. I have found that all these things need to be the same on every
system. Once everyone finds everyone else, it seems to work to remove
Netbuei. Also, remove all the other junk before you even start. If things
just will not work, reinstall the NIC through the wizard and start clean. I
have taken my LAN up and down several (well, OK, probably 10) times now -
these settinings seem to do the trick.

Good Luck,
Karen Coe

 Update. ADMtek 983B Ethernet cards, Hub, Win98