From:
Ethan Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:30:49 -0800
On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 21:44:17 -0500, Ed Bogert <[log in to unmask]> posted
article <[log in to unmask]>, which said:

> This ons got me baffled--I'm running Win98se with a new
> motherboard equipped with Celeron 533mhz,370 socket--Rage II PCI
> video card--128mb sdram--13.6ghz HD--VIA Apollo Pro 133A-694x
> chipset--Award 2000 bios.  My problem is that after I boot-up and
> after about 1 hour the motion on my screensaver as well as any
> games I may be playing or any other applications I may be using
> ALL are momentarily (2 to 4 seconds)freezing up and then
> continuing on for another few seconds and then freezing up again
> on and on and on.  After about 5 hours of this action the machine
> locks up, requiring a restart.  I know I'm not overdriving the
> video card (using 16 bit setup).  I can't seem to solve this
> problem.  Can anyone help me?  Thanks

I had the same exact problems a few months ago, and had the problem for
several months.  The problem ended up being a virus infection.  My baby was
sick. :-(  Well, I had just done a fresh install of Windows98SE, myself. But
what I didn't realize was that the virus went through and tampered with my
ZIP files, replacing the original SETUP.EXE in the ZIP with a copy of the
virus.  So when I went back to reinstall my old software from my archive of
ZIP files, I reinfected my fresh install.  If you scan the Windows directory
for viruses, and it finds an infected WINSOCK.DLL file, then you have the
same virus I had.  Fortunately I don't use Outlook Express, so I didn't
spread the virus to anybody else. :-D

Ethan Matthews

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com