From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 22:31:24 -0500
original post:-

<<< I strongly advise against this technique unless you have absolutely given up on the hard drive and the next thing to do is throw it away.

Dean Kukral >>>

I fully agree and would go to the extent of saying " why take the trouble of giving it a "rap" when it is going to land somewhere with a "thud" !!!

on a serious note... almost all HDD'S i have seen have a " WARNING" sticker saying in effect " delicate product, sensitive parts inside, subjecting to shocks will damage etc, etc.

case designers nowadays provide for drive bays with built in "shock absorbing/cushioning " features to minimse vibrations during read/write. such cases are expensive though...

 Chipo Chika's post (clipped)

<<<< The current situation is that I have slaved the drive on my pc and the good news is that the drive is recognised during post. But on the other hand the drive is not bieng recognised once the OS is loaded. >>>>

i am sorry but it is not clear whether you have "slaved" to primary or secondary IDE slot.

if primary there may be a conflict between the o/s on the master hdd and that on the slave with windows not knowing what to do.

so i would suggest you put it as a single drive on secondary IDE channel (master/slave does not matter) OR as suggested by another member as an external USB drive and try out.

FWIW and good luck-----Venkat

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com