From:
"Kurr, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:57:13 -0500
Heat can cause long-term degradation of traces within the CPU.  Over time,
electrons can migrate (jump off a trace into "no-man's land" toward a lower
potential trace).  Over time, the migration can in effect blaze a trail
where electrons can flow but shouldn't.  Higher temperature equals higher
resistance in traces and higher electron energy, making migration more
likely.  The 233 doesn't produce as much heat as more modern CPU's, so a
heat sink with fairly good natural convection and ambient air flow may be
sufficient to maintain normal operating temperatures (depending on
environmental conditions).  You will know if you damaged it (unlikely if you
could touch the heat sink without a burn) when it fails or begins locking up
(i.e. wait and see).
Martin Kurr
email [log in to unmask]