From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 15:07:24 -0800
On 26 Aug 98 at 3:55, Roberto Safora Romay wrote:

> Yes Sam; but  I am asking if those 83 Mhz implies something. (bus
> speed, or something like that)

  On some machines, increasing the FSB (front-side bus) to 75 or 83
MHz doesn't affect the PCI slot speed of 33 MHz.  [This is called
"asynchronous PCI", and is/was a *feature*.]
  On cheaper motherboards, the 33 MHz PCI clock is just half of the
66 MHz FSB; on these boards, pushing the FSB to 75 or 83 MHz yields
PCI speeds of 37.5 or 41.5 MHz.  Yes, this is faster -- but some PCI
cards don't like that!
  My guess would be that a reference to 83 MHz *probably* means that
the card is claimed to work even at a 41.5 MHz PCI speed.
  [These speeds are used with certain CPUs, especially from Cyrix, or
to overclock chips rated for 66 MHz.]

  This may not apply to you.  However, if your system is running a
faster bus, it's possible that the socket contacts are introducing
just enough noise/resistance that the card can no longer operate
reliably at this speed.

David G