From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 17:57:48 -0700
>===============
>What I want to do is take the display from my monitor, add voice to it and
>transfer both to VHS tape.

  There are a variety of units that will take a VGA output and convert it to
a signal that can be displayed on a TV set.  [Note that even at 640x480, a VGA
monitor provides better resolution than an analog TV screen.  Different
devices may address this problem in different ways.]

  There are two basic possibilities:

1.  The video signal can go to an "RF modulator" to yield a signal like that
picked up by the television antenna.  A TV *tuner*, set to channel 3
(usually) or 4 (occasionally) can receive this signal and extract picture and
sound.

2.  The video signal, in "composite video" form, can go to the "V" (visual)
side of a pair of "A/V" RCA jacks (the "A" (audio) side is for the sound).

  Most VCRs include both antenna-style (tuner) inputs and A/V inputs, and can
provide either sort of output.  Most TVs include only the antenna input; we
had to shop around a little to find a model which also had A/V jacks -- but I
don't think they cost us much extra.

  Note that we could use the VCR as an RF modulator, taking audio and video
inputs and using its antenna output.  But to produce a tape, that's not
really necessary -- we'd be using the VCR's tuner to de-modulate the signal
for recording in that case.  So for tape we really want a composite video out.

  Okay, what about the sound?  Well, we've got a fancy mixer board for
blending from one source to another, but if all you need is a simple voice-
over, you need to run your microphone jack into the "A" side of the A/V
inputs to the VCR -- could need some level fiddling.  Better idea -- run the
microphone into the mike input on your sound card, and the sound card's line
output to the "A" jack (via a stereo mini-plug to RCA adapter and a patch
cord).  If you want background music too, run it into the sound card's line
input, and use the mixer on the card to adjust its level relative to your
voice.

  The result should be a tape from your VCR with the computer screen visuals
(subject to whatever the VGA-to-NTSC device does...) and a sound channel
consisting of your voice-over, with some background music mixed in if you
like.
  Somebody suggested using the broadcast station's facilities, but the main
thing they can do that's beyond what I've described here is mixing of video
signals, such as keying of two images together -- that needs video
synchronization via a genlock.

  [Our local community college runs a cable access channel and its studio,
and offers courses in Video production (some of which I've taken...).  There
might be a similar facility near you.]

David G

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org