From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:32:11 -0500
Years ago, they said if you were going to turn a fluorescent light on again
in about 90 minutes or less, you should leave it on...  Then there were the
buildings where you would see them burning all night...

For monitors, mine "sleeps" so I follow the manufacturers instructions. (On).

If a hard drive sits too long the bearings get gummy -(not a problem with
me), so you need to run it occasionally.
I have read the "white papers" where it says the hard drive design life start up
is 10,000 times, five years wear-out, or 100,000 - 300,000 hours MTBF.
(I'm still looking for that hard drive that will last 34 years...)

I read about a company that NEVER turns their computers off, but in preparation
for Y2K, did just that... Out of 60 computers, about half did not start up when
turned back on...  They seemed to think it was the heads sticking on the landing
zone, so they took the hard drives out and banged them gently... Some  started
to work.

I don't think there is an easy answer that can be easily proven.
                   Rick Glazier