From:
David Brenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:53:44 -0800
To All,

I have an HP 9100i CD-RW (IDE) (replacing a Toshiba CD reader, also IDE)
that I have just installed into the following machine:

AMD K6-2, 400 MHz
Tyan Trinity 100
256 MB RAM
Quantum UTA-66 2x 20GB, 1x 10GB
Matrox Millennium II 2Mb Video

The machine is set up to dual boot between Win2K and Win98SE (2k for me, 98
for wife).

Problem:

CD works fine under W2K, I can read and write and re-write disk just fine. I
have never had a disk write process fail with it in the dozen or so disks I
have burned.

However, I cannot read CD in it under Win98. I put a CD in and can get a
root level directory read, but if I try to open a sub-folder I get a cannot
be read message. If I insert a CD with software designed to autorun, I get
an error message with some kernel message and something about improper
system permission setting. Under system/hardware there are no error
messages. As near as I can tell the CD has the latest firmware from HP.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

db

                     support at our newest website: