Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 07:30:57 EDT
In a message dated 7/28/2002 12:29:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> My husband's computer HD is on it's way out.(and it's less just over a
> year old!) Anyway, I'd like to replace the HD and transfer the
> information from the old HD to the new HD. Where can I find the
> information to do this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Susan

Hi,
  If you get a retail hard drive (as opposed to an OEM model), it normally
comes with a utility to do this, on a floppy (I KNOW Maxtor and Western
Digital drives do, I assume other major brands do as well).
  You install the drive temporarily as either a slave to the original drive,
or as either a master/slave on the other IDE channel (cable),
partition/format and copy the data from the old drive to the new with the
floppy program, then re-install as a master instead of the original drive,
  If you DO get an OEM drive (to save a few bucks), then you can download MAX
BLAST from the Maxtor website, and make a floppy from it. It says it only
works on Maxtor drives, but I've used it on many other brands, and it works
fine.

HTH,
Peter Hogan

PS, link for MAX BLAST: <A HREF="http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast_plus_ii.htm">Maxtor.com - MaxBlast Plus II</A>