From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:20:33 -0400
I was cloning a new harddrive to replace an older one...
I like to "burn them in" so I kept both fully capable
and ready to work for a while... (One hooked up at a time.)
I installed something to only one of them and it zapped the
modem drivers, the registry, or something...
It was odd to see a totally unfixable modem (I tried everything)
come instantly back to perfect operation by just switching to
the driver and files that were on the other hard drive...
The files and configuration were identical except for small
amounts of newly received e-mail...
Even if you can't get it working, it STILL may not be dead...
(It is still working 4 months later...)
                    Rick Glazier

> >Currently I'm having a problem with my creative modem blaster. When i try to
> >connect to my isp (dial up), an error message came up stating that it cannot
> >detect a dial tone.
> >
> >I have tried changing the 2 wire cable but still the modem cannot detect the
> >dial tone. I tried using both cable and a telephone on the phone line, and
> >the phone operate normally. Meaning I can hear a dial tone and i can dial
> >through the phone.
> >
> >Now, I suspect that the line jack/port on the modem has gone kaput but I
> >would like to ask for an opinion from all of you in the list about the above
> >problem.
>

> If you have a dial tone on the line and a phone works, then I would
> suspect the modem.  Either you have a bad driver for the modem
> or the modem is bad.  Try replacing the driver first and then consider
> replacing the modem.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com