From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 15:39:43 -0700
What confuses me is that if, as others have said, system resources is a set
amount of RAM specifically for that, then the percentage of resources it
takes up should go down as the amount of RAM goes up.  For instance, if
Windows takes a certain amount of memory for system resources like 10 Mb,
that is a bigger percentage of 128 Mb than it is of 256 Mb.  It would be
approximately 7% of 128 Mb and about 3.5% of 256 Mb.  On my machine I've
noticed that the more RAM I have the bigger chunk of it is used.  When I had
64 Mb it would show 86% of system resources free.  With 256 Mb I often see
77% free.  The math involved here does not compute.  I have a friend with an
old 486 running Win 95 with 16 Mb of RAM.  I have seen hers show nearly 90%
free. It looks like Windows uses less resources when there are fewer
available.  Her computer is slower than sucking molasses through a straw in
January, but it doesn't set aside a lot of system resources.  Given what
I've seen it looks like Windows sets aside a percentage of available RAM for
system resources rather than a fixed amount, or maybe not.

Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Adding RAM

System resources is a set amount of ram set aside specifically for
system resources and it's size doesn't change regardless of the amount
of ram you have installed.