From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2010 19:06:44 -0400
DeLyle, the appropriate minimum fan setting for the warnings will depend on
the fan and what its normal speed range is.  I'd say leave the CPU as it is,
if it is running and you are not getting any warnings.  I think that main
point of these warning is to let you know when the fans have completely
stopped running.

For the chassis fan, it is possible that a large case fan, such as a 120mm
fan could run slower than 500 rpm and still be in its normal range, but I
also wonder if the fan you installed has a three wire connection.  If it is
just a two wire connection, you won't get any fan monitoring; so, it will
show up as failed.  It's also possible that the fan is plugged into a
motherboard header which is different than the one you are setting the
warning thresholds for.

Typically, motherboards with the capacity for adjusting warning thresholds
will also have a section in the BIOS where you can see the current fan
speeds and other things such as the CPU temperature and maybe voltage
readings.  Do you see something like this?  What are the fan rpm readings in
this monitoring section, if such a thing is available.

The simplest solution, if you can readily see that all your fans are
working, is just to disable the warning for the fan that keeps saying it
isn't up to speed.  Of course, I'd probably want to know why I was getting
this message before resorting to that solution.

John Sproule