From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:49:48 -0400
Cheryl writes:-

<<<I have an old ACER PC with Windows 95.>>>

(1) just have a look at the backside of the case and see if you find a slot exactly similar to that of a home telephone slot where you attach the jack for connection... it is called rj 11 jack

(2) in case you have a copy of the manual for this pc see if you can find out whether any sort of internal modem is installed. during win 95 days it normally used to be a v90 or win modem for dial up access to the internet.

(3)if not can you post back the model no of the pc so that someone in the list can find out from acer website?

<<< I want to connect it to the internet for my grandchildren to use>>>

(4)from this i assume that since the time you had this machine it has not had internet access?

<<<< then discovered I needed an ethernet card (that had to be compatible with Windows 95) ... >>>>.

(5)not necessarily "compatible" except perhaps for loading the drivers.( i hope i am not confusing you with all these tech. jargons!!!)

<<< now I need a CD drive to install the driver for the ethernet card>>>

(6)NO I DON'T THINK SO. the driver file for ethernet cards are so small in size they will fit very well in a floppy and most manufacturers will give you only a floppy diskette with the ethernet card and not a cd.(more expensive)
so you can install from your floppy drive which i am sure your system has?

<<< Since I keep making errors in my purchases,this time I've decided to ask for help>>>

(7) very good.. keep on asking till you get all the info.

(8)finally it will help all on the list very much if you can find out about the internet service providers in your area (ISP's)and post back to the list.
they are catagorized as dialup/ dsl/adsl/cable/satellite connection etc etc..
and which one you will be using.

HTH and good surfing to your grandchildren and later on perhaps you would consider a blocking system so that no shady websites are accessed.---Venkat

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml