From:
Brad Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 03:11:38 -0800
On 17 Jan 00, at 7:24, Brad Loomis wrote:

> Here is where I now stand in trying to install two Seagate 4.5 UW
> Cheetahs and the one 4.5 UW IBM drives in my system. The are
> Seagate 1, ID 0, boot, Seagate 2 ID 1, and for some reason the IBM
> shows up as ID 4, even thought the jumper is at ID 2.

  Just to confirm, you understand that on most SCSI drives the three
ID jumpers are numbered 0/1/2, but their *values* are 1/2/4 -- the
actual ID being the sum of the values of the jumpers installed.
Could this be why your IBM drive is addressed this way?

David G

No I didn't know that, and that sure would explain the values of the drive
ID's.
Now I seem to have developed a possible bad Cheetah, one of the new ones.
After leaving things on to run Seti in the background overnight, I went to
wake up the monitor this morning. Nothing happened. The monitor lamp changed
to green as it should, but I got no display at all. After a hard reboot, I
got the ominous message after "Verifying DMI Pool Data",
"Boot disk failure, insert system disk and press enter". This doesn't sound
good. Upon another reboot, I see that the drive shows up in the Adaptec BIOS
scan but with no ID#. In the Adaptec set up, the drive won't verify, with
the message in Sense key 02h, which translates to "Not ready- The media is
not ready to format. Be sure that media is inserted in the drive and that
the media is spun up". I am unable to see the drive in Fdisk from a Win98
boot disk. So I guess that means that the drive is kaput. I haven't changed
anything, things were working before. Everything is properly plugged in,
terminated etc.

Could a failing even though new drive have been the possible cause of
earlier problems, like being forced to go to safe mode upon any kind of
software update? Is this a failed drive?
I reinstalled my old WD IDE that was still loaded with Windows to access my
mail etc. I did have it removed until the failure above and had changed the
BIOS accordingly.

To refresh, Abit BX6, PII233, 64MB, Adaptec 2940UW, two Seagate ST34501W,
one IBM DDRS-34560W, PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool ATX 350 PS.

Thanks for you help,
Brad Loomis
Los Angeles, CA

                            The NOSPIN Group