From:
gary tennesen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2008 15:01:20 -0700
Hi Folks:

Here's an interesting one -- my 11-station network signs into a domain on a
2003 server.  They are all xp pro stations and they log on fine using the
network wizard.

Then came Vista Business.

I thought I'd give 'er a whirl. None of the MS patches worked, DNS tweaking,
assigning a fake MAC address, etc.  COULD NOT find domain server.

Answer:  I told the computer that it was not in a domain called WIDGETS but
a workgroup called WIDGETS (domain changed to protect the innocent) and
everything works!!!  I have access to shared resources, I can see and use
all computers on the domain, etc.  I can do anything and everything that a
computer registered on the domain can do.

Question:  so what's the downside to my work around?  Anybody have any
thoughts?

--gary r. tennesen

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads