From:
"Twin*.*Star" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 14:58:14 -0400
Safety is a relative term. Nothing is safe 100% even safe sex <G>.

The site you mention does have a valid point. It says that there is
a~possibility~when using xcopy(32) from inside of Win9x via a DOS
window (very important to do this way and not from booting to DOS),
that it would change truncated LFN shortcuts. ~And~if this shortcut is
mentioned in either the reg files and or sys.ini and/or win.ini, that,
~if~changed~ during the xcopy(32) process, an error would occur.

Well, after you sent this to me the first time, I searched both my reg
files and sys.ini and win.ini for any truncated LFN and there were none
in my system. Therefor, even if the process~did~change any truncated
shortcuts, it would not effect my system. And of course if it~did~not~,
then again, no matter, it would not effect my system.

The only reason I have experienced this phenomenon, was in writing DOS
batch files which need to use the truncated names for folders and
files. But knowing how and why xcopy does what it does prevents any
errors/problems occurring after doing the xcopy.

The site has a valid point of what~may~happen but to say it is unsafe I
believe is an exaggeration. I believe it is a very cheap (comes with
the OS), fast, accurate and efficient way to load a new hard drive.
Knowing that it may change a truncated shortcut means just checking to
see if it did after the process if it is a factor. If not, install new
hard drive and keep on booting <G>.

Daniel Wysocki
Twin*.*Star Computers
770-498-2582 / 800-816-0663
Fast, Reliable, Wallet-Friendly

From:   Jeffrey Delzer[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]

Just a reminder that xcopy is not a safe way to clone a Win9x drive.
Details were posted to this list recently on why and how it's unsafe.

Jeff Delzer