From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 15:37:59 -0700
Denise

You did not give us much to go on. Do you have a current anti virus
program with a recent scan? Do you have at least one current anti
spyware program running with a recent scan? Adaware, Spybot Search &
Destroy, and Microsoft Defender are probably the most popular programs
though there are others. Did the computer gradually develop problems or
were they a recent development? Are at least the Windows critical
updates installed. Are you using a firewall program? Do you have ample
capacity left on your hard drive?

Give at least some minimum information on your computer.
Processor/RAM/Operating System ?

BTW As Alan mentioned 1GB of RAM is good but 512MB of RAM is sufficient
for most routine uses of Windows. When in "msconfig" you will find the
startup programs under the tab labeled "startup". Under the "general"
tab select "selective startup".

If you need more help and/or more detailed help, do a follow up posting.

I hope this helps.

Tom Mayer

alan c lee wrote:
> Denise,
> 	The first place that I would look when a system is sluggish is the amount of momery module installed.  How much RAM do you have?  If you have plenty of RAM, 1 GB or above, then look at how many applications do you have running.  It might be time to upgrade for RAM.
> 	Second of all, you might have installed some applications that are
> set to automatically run when your OS boots.  If you are using Windows OS, you can
> take a look at your Task Manager, press Ctrl + Shirt + Esc at the same
> time (you can also right-click on the task bar, where the Start buttom is
> located, to access Task Manager)  Take a look at the different tabs, look
> at the Performance, the Processes that are running.  You might want to
> stop some of those from running.  To customize your start up programs,
> click the Start button, click RUN, type in "msconfig" (without the
> quotation marks) to select and/or deselect.  Good luck.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan Lee

> Alan Lee
> Email: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
>
> On Tue, 9 May 2006, Denise Matthews wrote:
>

>>> My computer is running slow, and sometimes seems to lock, and also cannot get out of windows.
>>> On the internet at times cannot get from website to another.
>>> The screen sometimes goes blank with mouse (egg shape) only on screen.
>>> The mouse will move but obviously nothing to point at.
>>> I am thinking of installing a Registry Mechanic type of software, will this help.
>>> I am quite new to computers just learning, have no idea whats wrong.
>>>
>>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:
>>                       Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
>>                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>
>>

>                          PCBUILD's List Owners: