From:
Nick Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 19:32:55 -0600
I installed an Evergreen overdrive on a Gateway 486DX-66 and the Speed Rate
number went from 92 before the upgrade to 96 after (not worth 100.00
bucks!).  Had it set for clock-tripled, the default saving.  Also added
faster hard drive and 16mb of ram (from 8 to 24) so it was hard to
attribute any of the speed increase to the cpu.  I would look at an Amd 586
replacement (133mhz) rather than the overdrive.

Thanks for the idea about L2 cache.  May try to add some to help them out.

nick