Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 13:54:40 +0000
Dear List Members,

So often, all we see on this list are people problems, questions and
headaches. I would like to share a success story. I hope others will
benefit.

System:
FIC PA-2007 MB with 1 MB Cache and Via Chipset, 64 MB SDRAM
8.4 & 4.3 Gig Maxtor UDMA hard drives
Diamond Fireport 40 Ultra SCSI Interface
Teac CD-516S 16X SCSI CD-ROM
Yamaha CDW4260 CD-RW Drive

I related last week my success with the installation of the Diamond
SCSI card and Teac CD-ROM. The Yamaha CD-RW installation went just
as smooth. I am not sure if it is my system or luck, but I found SCSI
to be very easy to work with. I burned a Verbatim CD-RW with no
problems. It was readable ONLY by the Yamaha CD-RW (as I expected). I
also burned an HP CDR, again without a problem. The CDR was recorded
at 4X and the CD-RW at 2X. The CDR was readable in all the CD-ROM
drives I have; Teac SCSI, Toshiba 8X ATAPI, and NEC 6X ATAPI changer
(an older model so I would presume most CD-ROM drives should read the
CDRs).

I used Adaptec Easy CD Creator. It tested the system and did not find
any problems running at full speed for burns. The buffer stayed at
100% for the entire burn from the hard drive (although I will admit I
did not stare at it the entire ~12 minutes), so the UDMA throughput
appears to be sufficient.

I haven't tried to create an audio CD yet, but testing indicates that
the Teac drive will do DAE (digital audio extraction) at 4X. Quite a
bit slower than its 16X rated speed, but should be fast enough to
burn the CD at 4X. Will have to wait and see.

Jim

Jim Maki