From:
Will Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:30:32 -0400
Hello all!

Specs: HP Scanjet 5200c (both USB and parallel connections available - had
been using USB) attached to a 6 year old Dell running Windows 98 (not SE),

Problem:  A week ago, this client called me up and said his printer and
scanner had stopped working. Both connected to the computer through USB
cables and had worked fine. I was able to delete and reinstall the printer
driver with no problem. The scanner refused to install using the steps
outlined by HP: first install the software (and I tried it with the latest
drivers from HP also), turn off the computer, then plug in the power and USB
on the scanner, then start the computer. Essentially, after the last step,
the scanner should be recognized by the computer. Alas, the scanner is not
only not recognized, but the program didn't even get onto the start menu
(though all the files were installed and could be run directly from its
folder).

Here's what I tried: I took the scanner to my computer and got it to work
fine on my XP Pro machine using the same steps but with different drivers
from the HP site. Back on site, I tried using the parallel port connection
(enabled through the software setup) and got the program on the start menu
(whee), and an icon in the system tray stating that the scanner was not
responding. In Device Manager, the connection was listed as a SCSI type and
had the feared yellow exclamation point on it. After uninstalling and
reinstalling numerous times (even going through Add New Hardware wizard and
trying the USB connection a few more times), I got nowhere.

I suspect that there is a USB issue that began when both the printer and
scanner stopped working, but device manager shows no problems... It does
seem that there are no hardware issues - all the cables, etc do work, just
not on this Dell

Thanks in advance for all the thought and time you put into this.

Best,

Will Stephenson
Acadia Technologies Inc.
mailto:[log in to unmask]

There are as many paths to God as there are people to walk them.