From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 09:25:17 -0700
I suspect the lines you are referring to are not phone lines but cable
lines ? Or maybe trunk phone lines, which aren't going to effect your
analog modem.

In the broadband business they call this the problem of the last mile. The
vast majority of customers, particularly residential, do not have a fibre
optic feed into their building. The last mile, or the last few feet of the
drop line, is old copper wire and this is the stopper in the bottle.

Mark Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>I'm about 5.6 miles from the switching station and can only connect at 26.4
>with my Creative Labs external 56k.  There were times, however, I could
>connect at 31.6 with an el cheapo internal Winmodem. :-\
>
>Anyway, does having fibre optic lines help at all in this matter?  The lines
>around here are supposedly being upgraded to fibre optic.  Must be true
>because our phone sometimes goes out for about two minutes at a time.
>
>Ethan

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml