From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:37:26 -0700
Jim;

Although I don't generally us LT winmodems in my systems
I have used a few on my inexpensive or used systems.
They seem to work very well.
I have seen them connect at the same or faster speeds
than my USR hardware modem on the same line.
  It's hard to ignore them, when they work well and cost
as little as $12. The USR internal hardware modems I use
cost around $60. The LT winmodems use the Lucent chipset.
I can't really recommend any other chipset, but I haven't used many.
Most of the big name computer companies use some brand of winmodem
One brand I avoid like the plague are Motorola winmodems.