Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:36:16 -0500
Charlie,

I recommend you consider the NEC drive at the link below. I have two of this
model and an older NEC DVD-RW and have not had a problem with either. I have
used several LiteOn drives and all at one time or another had problems
either reading or writing disks. I have three OptoRite drives that have
performed good but, overall, I prefer the NEC. NEC is not as well known as
some of the so called 'named' brands because until recently they primarily
manufactured drives for OEM.

Suggest you scroll to the "Read More Reviews" link and see what others
think. You can't go wrong with this drive and the price is right.

NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A - OEM at
Newegg.com $41.99 + $2.00 FedEx Saver shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152047

As an added note, I recommend you use "+R" disks. Most drives available now
will read and write both the +R and the -R format but it's been my
experience that many stand alone DVD players have problems reading the -R
format, as well as some DVD-RW drives and, apparently some programs. I
recently saved a Ghost image to a -R disk and when Ghost attempted to verify
the image, it would not recognize the disk. I saved the same image to a +R
disk and Ghost recognized and verified the disk with no problem. Another
time I attempted to copy a -R disk with archived music and Roxio would not
recognize the disk.

Sven Swanson, Sr.