From:
Bill Nussbaumer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:32:10 -0500
HI,

Every once in a while someone is sure to post stating that they are taking
the plunge into building their own system for the first time.  Well, it's
my turn.  :-)  Because of cost considerations and my needs (At home -
mostly gaming otherwise I'd just stick with my P-120) I've decided to build
around an AMD processor.

I'm currently choosing motherboards and had narrowed it down to the Asus
P5A, Aopen AX59 Pro, and FIC PA2013.  However,  the FIC VA-503+ seems like
a very popular board.  This board however has 4 SIMM slots that I don't
need, 1 too many ISA slots, and 1 to few PCI slots (since the sound card
and ethernet card will take 2 I'll only have 1 more free) and is a baby AT
form factor.  Is there an advantage in starting a new system using a baby
AT form factor vs an ATX?  Are there cases out there that hold both?  I
would also be happy to hear opinions or experiences regarding these boards.

I was planning on purchasing the K6-2 processor with 3DNow! capabilities.
Would there be any advantage in holding out for the K6-3 ... I probably
wont even purchase my video card until close to the end of the year anyhow.
 BTW I'm planning on going with a card based on the new TNT chip set.
Probably the STB or Canopus version and any opinions or experiences
regarding that are also welcome.

Thank You,

Bill Nussbaumer

                                  -----