From:
Ethan Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 20:42:31 -0800
On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 10:59:34 -0500, Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
posted article <[log in to unmask]>, which said:

> While Jack has given you a very good introduction to partitioning, he
> left out the part about formatting your new partitions. In other words,
> if you create new partitions D: and E:, run format D: and format E:.
> Don't format your C: partition, though, or you will lose your present
> Win installation. Here's a tip: At the end of each format, you'll be
> asked to supply a label. I've found it useful to give descriptive names
> to each partition such as "Programs", "Archives", etc. You should also
> consider using various partition sizes depending on what your usage. For
> example, if you download a lot of music files, you could create a really
> big partition for them.

I also recommend Partition Magic.  It isn't totally necessary since
everything can be done without it, but I have Partition Magic and I love it
because it makes everything so much easier.  I installed the DOS version
(and the windows version, but I only use the DOS one) because I trust DOS to
handle my partitions since Windows isn't running.  Through a point-and-click
interface, I was, in one step, able to resize two partitions and create two
more, even though all the partitions had data on them.  I now have drives C
through I.  Drive I is for BeOS and doesn't show up within Windows.  Linux,
which I'm downloading now, is going on one of the other drives after I
offload some data files to CD's.  The nice thing about Partition Magic is
that it comes with Boot Magic, which creates a menu for you to select which
OS you want to use at startup.

Ethan