From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:11:20 -0700
This usually happens when the original video card wasn't properly removed
prior to installing a new one. I assume the <tech> just pulled the card,
stuck in the new one and booted up thinking NT4 would sort everything
out...NOT.

If possible go to Video cards manufacturers web site and get the latest Win
NT4 drivers for your card. Then with your mouse right click on the NT
desktop and select properties. Select the settings Tab....push the Display
Type button...under Adaptor Type... is the correct one selected....Even if
it is the correct one  push the change on and re select it ....install the
driver. Then back out and reboot. For safety NT will load SVGA drivers
after a change which are what you are using now and why you can't get out
of 640 X 480 X 16 colors. This is NT4s safe mode.

When that test resolution screen comes up after reboot just accept it and
when your PC finishes booting you should be able to go into properties and
change it. Alternatively if your video card came with a driver install
program you can try running it to automatically reinstall the drivers.

After you get this sorted out you may want to consider installing NT4
Service Pack 6a for the advanced security patches.

Mark Rode
The NoSpin Group

>         I had a slight problem with my video card and asked the vendor
> for a solution.  He recommended replacing the video card (at his
> expense), and a few days later a technician came to my office and did
> just that.   Unfortunately, something about the exchange has caused problems.
>Booting the computer brings up an error message -  "Error loading
>driver".  Clicking "ok" does not clear the error message from the
>screen.  It can be cleared going through task manager, however it doesn't
>seem to interfere with anything, and is NOT the problem.   The problem is
>that the resolution is 640X480X16 and any attempt to change that is
>fruitless.

Kay McCoy [log in to unmask]
Automation Manager phone/fax: 304-465-5664

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org