From:
Melissa Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:28:21 -0700
I recently started trying to dial into the world with my 3-year-old PC (Packard-Bell Windows 95) at home.  I have tried connecting to ISPs and other (e.g. phone number to register my copy of Quicken).  Perhaps 5% of the time I can connect.  The rest of the time, I hear it dial, I hear the tones and the static, then the static intensifies and there are more tones.  After about a minute, it gives up and tells me it can't connect.  Sometimes it makes a noise that reminds me of film slapping in a projector after the movie is over.  I have successfully connected maybe 5 times in a month.  Since I've tried to connect to NetGenie, AltaVista Free Access, MSN 30-day trial, and Quicken, I assume the problem's on my end.  The phone co. says the line is OK (office check).  I've tried several internal configurations of phone connections.  I have unstalled and reinstalled the modem (internal Aztech Sound III 336SP), but it doesn't want to stay uninstalled.
Is there something I can do to "prove" that the problem is or is not a bad modem?  Any other options?
Thanks.
Get Visto!  Groups, event calendars, email, and more...
Check it out @ http://www.visto.com/info

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html