From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 07:05:46 -0800
I have an ASUS with the same RAM configuration. My BIOS had to be set for
"dual memory" which requires matched sticks. If not set, unmatched memory
could be used. I look upon matched memory as a performance boast rather than
unmatched memory as a performance hit.

Be careful that the new stick will work with the old stick. Check the stores
return policy before purchasing. From reviews I've read, some brands of RAM
may not work with other brands. For example, PNY does not seem to like
playing with other brands.

I hope this information helps with your Dell. Remember Dell's use
proprietary memory. You should buy from a supplier, such as Crucial (or
Dell), that guarantees compatibility with Dell. Also, since  both sticks are
specifically made to run in your Dell, they should not have a conflict
between themselves. If your computer manual does not include information
concerning the uses of banks 1 & 2, you can try it both ways.

Tom Mayer