From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:00:50 -0800
On 6 Mar 2003, at 8:28, Samuel Kumson wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> How can I access my home network computer from the internet. I have a
> router, and my IP address is assigned to the router, How do I get on
> individual computer.

  There are two basic options:

1.  Your router probably includes a feature to allow specific, limited
access to one or more local machines.  Depending on the manufacturer and the
scope of access supported, this may be called "static NAT", "port
forwarding" or even "DMZ".  The main thing is that this is configuration of
a router feature, although the PC will have to be running an appropriate
network-access service as well.

2.  There are services out there like gotomypc.com, where you point the home
machine's browser at a special URL and that enables inbound access from
elsewhere on the Internet.  Before everybody rushes out and does this, I
should point out that many institutional/corporate network admins are
uncomfortable with this approach, and many businesses consider it a
violation of the policy under which employees are equipped with office PCs.
But for home use, you can make up your own mind, and it's proabably
reasonably safe.

David Gillett

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>