From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:09:11 -0400
Here's a little tutorial for win9x (this may pertain to ME too, which I have
never used).  Not much of this is applicable in NT based windows 2000 or XP
because of differences in how those systems operate:

There are 3 windows storage areas, by default they are all on C drive.
Windows swap file,
temp folder,
temporary internet files folder (the name of this folder can vary depending
on the version of Internet Explorer installed).

All 3 can be moved.

To move the swap file:
Right-click my computer, properties, performance, virtual memory.
Change the selection from "Let windows..." to "Let me...".
Pick the drive letter from the drop down list.
Change the selection from "Let me..." back to "Let Windows...".

The change in drive letter will stick and it will take effect after you
re-boot.  I do not recommend changing the Min and Max values unless you
really understand how your system performs.  Certain common applications use
swap file space outside of the common conceptions of what memory is for.
Swap file space is not limited to 'saving' the contents of ram for one
program while another multi-tasking program needs the ram.  The Swap File
can be used to virtually expand the amount of ram installed.  I have seen my
Swap File dynamically expand to almost 600 meg during the execution of one
SQL query.  Combined with the 256 meg of physical ram, that's over 800 meg.
Generating demographic maps has had similar effects.  Any movie editing
would too, I suppose.

To move the Temp folder:
Click start, Run, and enter
sysedit
click okay
The first window title should be autoexec.bat
There should be a line that reads
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
Change it to
SET TEMP=D:\TEMP
or to any other hard drive you have installed.  If you don't see a line
beginning with SET TEMP, create one on the last blank line in the window.
Save and close all the windows.
Now create a folder called TEMP at the top level (root) of the drive you
chose in the autoexec.bat window.  To do this easily, click open my
computer, click on the drive of your choice, click File,New, Folder, and
name the folder TEMP.
Re-boot.  Go to C:\windows\temp and delete anything you find still here.

To move the temporary internet files:
Right Click the Internet Explorer Icon,properties,
or go to Tools, Internet Options (v5 if IE).
In the Temporary Internet Files Sections, click settings.  Click Move
Folder.
My version of IE does not display the current location of the files.
Anyway,
navigate to a place using the explorer tree to the right, to any hard drive
other than C:
Click okay.
Re-boot.

You might want to try limiting the temporary internet space to 15-20 meg.  I
find it only useful one today's internet for hitting the back button.  Most
peoples' browsers are configured like mine, I guess, which checks the sites
I visit for new content and refresh accordingly.  This cancels any speed
advantage you used to see in IE 4.0 for example, where the cached pages in
the temporary folder would be displayed rapidly, rather than re-downloading
the site pages again, and you could manually refresh the pages if you
thought they were out of date.  So set the size to be adequate for the back
button, and browsing will be simpler.

All you really need to do after these changes is to stop installing to C:
any new applications you have.  Use the install routine's custom feature to
change the default location to a different drive.

I run one pc I own at 60 meg on the C: drive.  Anything less I find causes
MS to fire up the "You are running out of space on drive C ...." wizard.
This of course was a mistake, but its one I am resigned to live with rather
than risk tinkering with Win98.

Tom Turak