From:
Jun Qian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 17:19:16 +1100
Jeffrey Delzer wrote:

> > On the advice of a friend who does tech support, I deltree d windows and
> > reinstalled it, without fdisking my new hd, leaving all my old installs
> > intact on the hd.

Whoever gave you this advice shouldn't be called "friend" if he does tech
support. I would never do this to my friend.

> IMHO, the best option is to locate and save any of YOUR DATA files that
> you need to preserve, reformat the C: drive and start over.

Agree. I don't believe deltree will work and never seen a single case who made it
work. Just a day ago, my workmate tried deltree/reinstall win98 to test it works
or not, he killed a good system.

I have a number of true stories of Deltree \windows, here is one:
A stupid guy (sorry I can't tell who, if he knows, he'll kill me) who know
nothing about computer and never uninstall any program (he just deltree). Even
after he crashed his win95 system number of times, he still thinks he knew
everything and never take any advise from anyone else but himself. Plus, he never
keeps any hardware driver disk/CD so he lost 'em all (printer, CD-R, Video,
sound, modem).
Last time he deleted system files from windows folder and was unable to boot in
windows, he deltree windows directory and tried to reinstall win95 to save his
HDD and apps. of 'cos he didn't success but he never gave up trying. finally he
totally scrawed up his computer (no boot at all) after 3 days his "hard work" (I
have no ideal what he did).

J Qian

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com