From:
Donald DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:27:32 -0700
First thing, the computer never did completely boot-up, only in safe mode.  I
ran the msconfig as Hugh recommended. There wasn’t anything unusual listed
in the boot-up or logon. Comparing all the entrees with my backup computer,
everything appeared to be normal. I was considering deleting all thirty
eight upgrades one at a time so I could zero in on the one giving me the
problem but that would have taken forever. So I decided to do another fresh
reinstall as Dean suggested. : ( After all, I do need the practice. This
time I turned off the automatic downloads, (I believe there were over
forty). To date, third day running, everything seems to be working ok. The
question here is, should I keep the automatic downloads turned off, or take
my chances and turn it back on? Is there a way I can just download/install
one update at a time? I see on the Automatic Updates tab/page there is an
option to download but “let me install”. I’m not sure how to do this. Can
you give some instruction for this method if you think it is the way to go?

Also, Rick had concerns about the sp# of the reinstall; the exact wordings
on the Dell/factory reinstall CD are “Windows Media Center Edition 2005 with
Update Rollup 2.”

Don DeWitt

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 6:11 AM, Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Timing is everything. (My timeframes may be off and this
> might be an un-necessary warning in this particular case..)
> After a factory restore/re-install, etc., don't let the computer
> on-line AT ALL unless it is ALREADY
> PATCHED TO (at least) XP-SP1.
> (You get hacked in about a minute.)
> Get a CD, a SP1 full sized (complete) admin type patch file, etc.,
> from MS only and "just do it"...
> If the Dell restore CD is clearly marked that it had ANY SP "embedded"
> (factory slipstreamed, so to speak) forget all this...
>
> Rick Glazier
>
> From: "Donald DeWitt"
>
>> I have a five year old Dell 8400 running Windows XP Media Center with
>>
> service pack 2.
>
>        PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download
>                    visit our download web page at:
>                 http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com