From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 13:06:32 -0600
From: "Michael A. Wosnick" :Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 5:20 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Where's the ping? I found it

> Eric,
>
> I set ZA (in the advanced tab) to allow all traffic from the IP addresses
> 192.168.9.0 through 192.168.0.255 and I also allowed it to pass traffic on
> my homelink HPNA adapters (same addresses). I moved my Internet security
> down form high to medium, but as soon as ZA is loaded, all internet access
> on my clients stops dead.
>
> Is there some other way to configure ZA that I am not grasping?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Michael,

Unfortunately this was my experience with Zone Alarm when I installed it on
my network.  I even tried low Local and Internet security and was not able
to get it to allow the clients to access the internet.   When the clients
tried to access the internet, Zone Alarm didn't even ask if I wanted to
allow them to access the internet, or give me a box saying that it had
denied access to the internet from the client computer, the clients were
just unable to connect to the internet.  I did not try it with ICS, I was
using Sygate.  I assume that your range of IP addresses is a typo and you
meant to type 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.0.255.

I believe that I also read somewhere that you might have to lower your local
security on the LAN to low.  I gave up trying to get it to work as Zone
Alarm's help files stated it would not work with NAT, so I upgraded to Zone
Alarm Pro at a special price.  I can now have both the Local security and
Internet security zones set to high and run Zone Alarm on the client
computers.  Neither Zone Alarm or Zone Alarm Pro installed on just the
gateway computer will stop unwanted outgoing messages from clients computers
unless they are installed on the clients.

If you can get it working I would be interested in knowing how it was
accomplished.

Mary Wolden

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html