From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:37:04 -0500
I have placed many a keyboard in the dishwasher, with astonishingly good
results.
I used to be very conservative about this-no soap, take out before the
drying cycle-but now I just throw them in along with the dishes, let
them dry for at least 24 hours, and they're as good as new.
Leave it upside down for the drying period.
 From Fred Langa's archives:
"Indeed, you can wash many electronic parts in pure water to remove
surface contaminants (including salt, dust, dirt, dried liquids and the
like). We've written about it several times before, including here
http://langa.com/newsletters/2001/2001-11-01.htm#3 . Byte's Jerry
Pournelle also once memorably described taking his favorite keyboard
into the shower to revive it after he spilled a sticky drink on the
keys. And other readers in IT departments and computer repair shops
report that they've loaded dishwashers with floppy drives, printer
parts, and so on: Basically, any solid or flat-surfaced part that water
can get to, and dry from (e.g. a circuit board), is a theoretical
candidate for washing. Enclosed devices (including enclosed
subassemblies, like power supplies) are not".

Ron Kaplan wrote:
> I've got a older-fashioned "clicking" keyboard that is important for me to keep, as it is so much more comfortable and mistake-free for me. However, the backspace key sticks and a couple keys double enter when I tap them. Can anyone suggest a fix for either problem? Thanks so much.
>
>               The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free PC Tech
>                      support at our newest website:

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads