From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 10:33:59 -0400
>Richard W. Clement wrote:
>
> I just picked up a cheap motherboard, a Shuttle Hot-553 HX board.
> In order to use my p200mmx in it I need an external VRM (voltage
> regulator module) Hot-106.  Does anyone know where I can get one of
> these?

Richard:

I would reconsider this course of action. A friend of mine had a
HOT-557 motherboard that did happen to have a built-in split
voltage regulator. However, he was advised by Shuttle tech
support that the motherboard would still not accept a MMX CPU
because it lacked support for the additional instruction set. There
was not a BIOS upgrade to enable MMX either. If you get the
VRM, your 200MMX may still not be functional.

You should contact Shuttle tech support and verify that the
motherboard will accept a P-200MMX using a VRM.

It has been my experience that when a product advertises that
it will comply with a future, pending, or new but not yet introduced
specification, it usually cannot or does not effectively implement
the new specification. Either the specification changes, or there
are bugs that require a different implementation, or it costs too
much, or there is no follow through with the original manufacturer.

It may be wiser to look at Super Socket 7 motherboards which
will work with your 200MMX, and more advanced CPUs, than to
quest for the VRM solution.

Regards,

John Chin

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**