From:
George&Mary Skokan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 07:02:56 -0700
You Wrote:
Date:    Mon, 29 Jul 2002 20:10:49 -0400
From:    bobwarasila <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: DIY project-How to partition for XP

I installed XP Pro today and decided to put the OS on a separate partition.
When asked by the installation wizard how to partition I chose to allocate 8
GB for XP.  It never asked me what to do with the remaining unallocated
space of the 80 GB drive.  I subsequently discovered Disk Manager and see
how to do something with the remaining space.  I thinking I should set it up
with as an extended partition and put some logical drives there.    Is there
a better strategy?

I would like to save about 5 GB for LINUX and eventually learn how to dual
boot and how to use LINUX.   Does LINUX need to be in a separate partition
or can it be in a logical drive in the extended partition?

Someone has mentioned placing the swap file in it's own drive separate from
the primary partition, can that just be in a logical drive or again must it
be in a partition?

Well everything seems to going well up to this point so I gratefully await
the advice of the list.

Thanks in advance,

Bob Warasila
[log in to unmask]  (home)
[log in to unmask]   (work)
___________________________

I'm wondering if Grub or Lilo (linux boot loaders) couldn't handle the dual
boot?  I have done this with win9x and win2k.  I haven't researched it a lot
but found one article that talks about XP and Mandrake.......am attaching it
below.

*****************************
Dual Boot Windows XP and Mandrake Linux 8.1
By: Jason Young
Open Waters Solutions
www.openwaters.net/solutions

How to install Mandrake 8.1 and XP on the same computer.

This will only guide you through the process of making XP and Mandrake 8.1
install peacefully on one computer. The folks at Mandrake have pretty much
made this install a no-brainer. I did it on my Compaq Presario 1720US
laptop. It is very Linux compatible. There are only a few minor
incompatibilities. Like the battery meter does not work in Linux. Linux only
supports APM.

Follow this closely and you will succeed.

What you need:
1. A computer with XP on it.
2. A cd copy of Mandrake 8.1
3. Partitioning program. I recommend Partition Magic 7.0 since 6.0 is not
compatible with XP.
4. An hour or so of free time. (depending on the speed of your computer)
5. A few Dr. Peppers and some munchies.

How to do it:
1. Use your partitioning software to create a LOGICAL drive partition after
C: and a swap partition after the logical partition. (When you use Partition
Magic, tell it that you will be installing an OS on it and that it will be
Linux. It will ask you where to make the partition (logical after c:\) and
it will suggest that you make a swap partition. You must do this. I made my
logical partition 4GB and my swap partition 200MB.)
2. Insert the Mandrake cd's into your cd rom and reboot. Follow the on
screen instructions. (I suggest you do the advanced install instead of the
"recommended")
3. When you get to the disk management portion of the install, click on the
partition that you just made and make the mount point "/" (without the
quotations. ) The installer will know what your swap space is.
4. Let the files copy.
5. When you are asked about your boot manager you should choose either LILO
graphical or GRUB. I like LILO but GRUB does a nice job too. The installer
will show you a list of the installed operating systems on your computer.
Place the star next to the OS that you want to make your default OS. I chose
Windows XP because I use it more. (Note: The installer refers to XP as NT.)
6. Finish the install and reboot. You should be prompted with your choices
of Operating Systems.

You are done.

Problems:
-If for some reason it did not list the right operating system as the
default OS then you can go to /etc/lilo.config and open it with a text
editor. You can set the default OS there. Save, close and then type
/sbin/lilo at the command line.

-If for some reason XP is not listed on the boot manager and you need to get
back to it or if you uninstall Linux and want to reset the boot manager back
to normal then pop in a Windows 98 boot disk and at the A: type "fdisk /mbr"
(without the quotes) and it will restore your master boot record. Note the
space between fdisk and /mbr.

If you have any further questions email me [log in to unmask]

Hope this helps.

George&Mary Skokan([log in to unmask])

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com