From:
Jack R Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 23:56:26 -0400
Bruce:

Re: replacing your OS (Win98SE or WinME), from a laypersons perspective\

In a publishing/typesetting biz, I've used everything  from Win3.x
through all the 9x versions including WinME. WinXP seems to be what you
may want to aim for, especially if you've been following the recent
"System Resources" thread. Some say they plan to switch to XP after the
first Service Pack comes out with patches to the initial bugs.

With XP on the horizon, your decision may be financial. If your business
is computer-intensive, you may want to switch to Win2000, but that may
take some retraining (WinXP has some roots in Win2K, so that training may
be helpful). If not, both Win98SE & WinME work OK. Both have bugs, but
diffferent bugs. If finances are important, why not use your boot disk to
install Win98, and wait for WinXP?

If you plan to go the XP route, no matter whether you install 98SE or ME
now, you'll still have to go through the same reinstall process when XP
(or the 1st SP) comes out. Meanwhile, yoiu can get all the patches and
upgrades available from MS for your ver of Win98.

Drivers, etc? If you reinstall your Win98, you can still hit the web to
get any upgraded drivers for your specific peripherals.

Painless? Duh - when has keeping a computer up-to-date been *painless.*
Hope this helps a little.

jack payton

On Sun, 27 May 2001 07:48:01 -0500 "Bruce D. Bridson"
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> I have a Compaq Presario 5020. I recently found out that my 8GB hard
> drive is going bad, it has a large chunk of its total size in bad
> sectors, even after several attempts of reformatting. I went out and
> purchased a new Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 30 GB Hard drive.  Before I
> begin replacing it I was wondering what steps I should take?  I want
> to install either Windows 98SE or Windows ME, not sure which one is
> better? and I wanted to do it without using the system restore cd
> that came with my computer if at all possible the cd has windows 98
> on it.  I am currently using the computer but I cant rely on it not
> falling soon.  What drivers will I need? can this be done? what
> other steps will I need to do inorder to make this process as
> painless as possible?  Thanks

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml